Nelson Education Ltd. is Canada’s leading educational Publisher providing innovative products and solutions for learners of all ages. Nelson values and respects the lifelong learning continuum and dedicates its business efforts to the diverse learning needs of students and educators alike.
A career in the Finance Division means you could work in Accounting or Planning. The Planning and Accounting departments are responsible for budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, internal control processes and also plays an important role in all acquisitions.
- Respond to employee e-mails, inquiries, phone messages regarding pay
- Liaise with P&E (HR) regarding employee transfers and changes
- Enter, process and check payroll entries
- Check Sun Life for any new Pension/RRSP enrollment or changes
- Import employee expense reimbursements (from AP) to ADP
- Enter hourly/daily timesheet to ADP
- Import Distribution Centre (warehouse) hours to ADP
- Balance car allowance/benefit in payroll
- Review entries and balance payroll before sending file to ADP
- Process ROEs
- Prepare Pension/RRSP remittances for signature
- Balance Pension Audit
- Upload Pension/RRSP to Sun Life on date of pay
- Upload RRSP to Manulife on date of pay
- Prepare Departmental changes report for AP/Accountants
- Send out on-Line ADP registration to new employees
- Prepare salary reconciliation report
- Check Pension/RRSP withdrawals from our bank account
- Open new payroll schedule
- Back-up for Payroll Manager
- Reconcile car reports from P&E (HR) to Payroll Taxable Benefits
- Prepare payment request to AP for Payroll related expenses
- Prepare severance worksheets as required, check if ROE needs to be issued
- Prepare and enter journal entries to JDE accounting system
- Review Test T4s and verify data
- Prepare T2200 forms for employees and distribute
- Check employees addresses for T4 & T4A slips and distribute
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related discipline an asset.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certification an asset.
- 1 year of payroll experience or experience in a related field preferred.
- Knowledge of payroll processes, statutory laws, and labor provider agreements.
- Knowledge and experience with job cost accounting and general ledgers.
- Experience with preparation, reconciliation and submission of monthly, quarterly, and annual internal and external remittances.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and high level of detail orientation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to act with the required discretion when handling confidential information.
- Working knowledge of and experience with payroll and accounting software.
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office Suite and internal operating systems.