Financial Analyst, Financial Reporting
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements of the Company including note disclosures
- Assisting in the coordination of the annual financial audit of the Company with the external audit firm
- Supporting the month-end process and year-end process, including preparing and maintaining certain schedules and reconciliations for monthly internal reporting, quarterly review, and annual audit
- Liaising with members of Finance (and other) departments, as required, to complete monthly activities
- Assisting in the creation of lead schedules to support annual income tax return filings, and preparation of annual tax provision, tax proof and income tax reconciliation
- Assisting in the preparation of the annual financial statements for the Company’s pension plan
- Compiling and evaluating working capital forecasts to reflect analyzed trends
- Creating and maintaining an integrated financial forecasting model that is in line with strategic and operational plans of the Company
- Conducting research and assisting in the preparation/updating of internal memoranda and the Company’s accounting policies under ASPE (IFRS as required)
- Preparing accurate and detailed process and control documentation, providing recommendations for process improvements, and assisting in implementing change
- Perform special projects and ad-hoc analysis as required to support management and the business
Experience and Education
- Working towards CPA designation. Must have passed CFE exam.
- 1 year of relevant financial accounting experience (public practice or industry experience in an external financial reporting role)
- Strong understanding of accounting principles (ASPE)
- Experience in researching and interpreting complex technical accounting issues
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) to interact with various departments and all levels of staff
- Must be able to work effectively as an individual contributor, yet operate in a very team-oriented environment
- Have high personal standards for own work and ensure high quality outcomes are achieved
- Proven high level of proficiency with MS Office suite, particularly Excel and Word
- Experience with JD Edwards World system is an asset
Nelson Education Ltd. (“the Company”) is Canada’s leading educational publisher providing innovative products and solutions for learners of all ages. Nelson values and respects the lifelong learning continuum and dedicates its business efforts to the diverse learning needs of students and educators alike.
Reporting to the Financial Reporting Manager, the successful candidate will perform financial accounting functions for the Company with a focus on internal and external reporting requirements. This role requires a blend of technical expertise, strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work independently and within a team setting, as required.
It is essential that all employees exhibit a positive attitude that reflects a collaborative, current, driven-to-win, disciplined, and customer-focused approach at Nelson Education Ltd.